23 Nigerian Soldiers missing after Boko Haram ambush

Scores of armed men, Tuesday evening, attacked a village, Kampanin Doka in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna state killing 12 soldiers. The soldiers are among a special detachment of troops sent to the village to ensure security for expatriates and others working on a new road linking Zamfara State with Kaduna through Dansadau-Dangulbi and Birnin Gwari. One of the foreign engineers working at the site was last year kidnapped by unknown gun men but was later released. After that incident, all the workers, including the expatriates fled the site but were mobilized to come back on the conditions that will be provided security. A source close to the emirate council who pleaded anonymity said the bandits attacked the soldier’s camp between 8pm and 9pm on Tuesday killing three soldiers in a hole and nine others in the camp. He said, “We gathered that the soldiers had caught a thief in a village called Maganda in the area and were taking him back to their camp when some personnel of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) asked them to hand over the thief to them which the soldiers refused. “The same police followed the soldiers to their camp in Kampanin Doka and again asked them to hand over the thief to them, but the soldiers still refused. Around 8pm on Tuesday, bandits attacked the soldier’s camp and killed three soldiers in a hole and nine others in a tent in the camp.” He added, “Members of the community kept calling us when the attack was taking place, but there was nothing we could do since we don’t have any weapons, all we did was to alert the emir and other security personnel with the hope that they could come to their aid.” He said the bandits had a day before that attacked Maganda village and shot nine people who are receiving treatment in the hospital. He called on the state government to find a way to tackling the menace of armed bandits in the area saying, “It is so unfortunate that the government has not deemed it fit to declare the bandits as terrorists and are still describing the attacks as farmer/herdsmen conflict, this is not the case, in fact, now there are no cows in the area because of banditry.” When contacted, the Public Relations Officer, 1 Division Headquarters Kaduna, Colonel Muhammad Dole said, “We are preparing a press release which will be released to the media as soon as possible, please give me some time. He did not however confirm if soldiers were killed in the attack. A social media message by the Birnin Gwari Vanguard for Security and Good Governance corroborated the story. It read, “A military detachment and members of the vigilante in Doka village has successfully repelled an attack by armed bandits numbering about 120 on a motorcycles around 10.05pm on Tuesday night. “The attackers had earlier attacked Maganda District on Monday on a revenged mission over the killing of Buhari Tsoho a. K. a Buharin Daji. Nine people critically injured at Maganda, mostly Vigilante group. “After Maganda, the Armed bandits moved toward Kampanin Doka at the junction road leading to Gwaska and Dansadau. But gallant soldiers and brave youths of Doka successfully repelled the attack. Many casualties on the side of the bandits recorded and they escaped with the wounded. “Although we had informed the Kaduna State government on the attack three days ago and the military, government officials dismissed our credible information by not taken appropriate action to forestall the attacks by armed bandit. “Once more, we the people of Birnin-Gwari are under siege and in need of protection of the government. Our youth and volunteers are ready to assist security agencies to confront armed bandits in our territory. “We will remain vigilant and await government of Mall. Nasiru Ahmed El-Rufai response to this security challenges in Birnin-Gwari local government.” Daily Trust learnt that an unidentified army general visited the camp Wednesday morning in his official car to assess the situation.

23 Nigerian soldiers are yet to be accounted for after Boko Haram insurgents ambushed a military convoy at Boboshe village in Bama local government area of Borno.

5 officers, 18 soldiers and 8 trucks were missing after the attack which occurred early on Saturday.

NAN learnt that the military, acting on intelligence, mobilised troops in a convoy of 11 trucks to clear the insurgents from the deserted village.

The attacking insurgents were believed to have been those who escaped the ongoing offensive by the military to flush out the Boko Haram terrorists in the fringes of Sambisa Forest and Lake Chad region.

A competent military source, told NAN that the insurgents in their hundreds ambushed the troops and in the process many of them have been missing.

Also Check:  Fulani Herdsmen Worse Than Boko Haram – Colonel Hassan Stan-Labo

He disclosed that only three of the 11 trucks deployed to the area returned to their base in Maiduguri, after suffering huge loss in the battle with the insurgents.

“There was a quick response by the army when they received reports that hundreds of the insurgents gathered at Boboshe on Maiduguri-Konduga-Bama road.

“The gallant soldiers were ambushed by the insurgents, only three of the 11 trucks returned to the base.

“It is not clear what happened but it was assumed the soldiers were missing following the ambush,” he added.

Meanwhile, residents of Jilli community in Gubio local government council of Borno, on Saturday fled the town sequel to an attack by Boko Haram insurgents.

Also Check:  Pope Francis May Die This Year, Rochas Will Lose His Job, Naira Will Appreciate to N185 — Abuja Prophet

It was learnt that the insurgent attacked the area from the axis of Lake Chad, forcing the residents to flee.

Malam Bukar Mustapha, one of the residents, told NAN that he and other villagers fled their homes when they received report that the insurgents were coming to attack them.

“In the afternoon on Saturday, we heard that the insurgents gathered in the nearby bush preparing for the attack.

“I am one of those who ran to Maiduguri, which is about 45 kilometres from my village.

On Sunday morning, I called Gubio and I was told that the insurgents had attacked the town during the night time. I do not have the casualties because the situation is still not clear at Jilli,” Mustapha said.

Also Check:  Mother of Dapchi girl held by Boko Haram because she refused to denounce her faith, reveals how Liya got such strong faith

Another resident who pleaded anonymity said troops had been deployed to the area.

Facebook Comments

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Click Here to get Notification